Black Beauty Itineraries
We've put together some suggested itineraries to accompany the fantastic 140th anniversary Black Beauty events to ensure you make the most of your time here! From a day trip to Norwich to an overnight themed package from just £155.
Day Visit (Tue-Sat)
- Head to The Museum of Norwich at the Bridewell to discover the story of Anna Sewell and her beloved horse Black Beauty (free entry 25 July – 5 Aug) including a self-guided trail and a host of summer family inspired activities plus writing workshops. Bring your own lunch to enjoy in their delightful historic courtyard where you may just glimpse Black Beauty himself.
- Staying in the Norwich Lanes trot over to Jarrolds' book department to browse the many different editions of Black Beauty on sale. In particular for £20, the hard back edition which includes the 1912 Cecil Aldin illustrations as featured in the Museum of Norwich exhibition.
- Jarrolds is offering a summer of children’s free Black Beauty activities which includes arts & crafts, author events and competitions.
- Wander through to Jarrolds Deli to discover award-winning local brewers - Woodforde’s - who are exclusively selling their Black Beauty beer in Jarrolds.
- Tuck into a Black Beauty themed afternoon tea in Benji’s (in Jarrolds) during August. Hint... it features a rather splendid Victoria Sandwich!
- The Millennium Library at The Forum has an impressive collection of Black Beauty editions including a first edition. Available to view by appointment, call 01603 774774.
- Finish your day with pre-dinner cocktails at either The Birdcage (in which case we suggest a fish and chip supper from the amazing Grosvenor Fish Bar across the street) - order a Sewell ’77.
Overnighters .... Day Two (Fri-Mon)
- Spend a day at Redwings Horse Sanctuary in Aylsham where you can meet the rescue charity’s very own Black Beauty Maya, who was rescued several years ago from a cruel owner in Essex. Entry to Redwings is free and offers regular walk and talks and horse care demonstrations with acres of paddocks to explore. There’s a cafe for refreshments, Black Beauty soft toys for sale and the chance to sponsor their Black Beauty, Maya, for 12 months.
- If you have booked a special family stay at the Maids Head Hotel your package includes a delicious packed picnic lunch to take with you to Redwings as well as a year’s sponsorship of Black Beauty.
- Head over to Gressenhall Farm & Workhouse to enjoy a fascinating journey through the story of rural Norfolk. Gressenhall is also home to the very rare Suffolk Punches which are bred at Gressenhall. Did you know that these huge horses, despite a breeding programme, are still rarer than the Giant Panda?! The Suffolk Punch is one of the oldest breeds of working horse recorded in the UK, going back to the 18th century. The breed was distinctive to East Anglia.
For adults only ...
- Visit Woodforde’s Brewery in the Broads, only a few miles from Norwich, where you can sample their award-winning beer and take a tour. Follow this with lunch or dinner at their pub next door The Fur & Feather.
- Venture further into Broads by heading to nearby Wroxham where you can hire a small picnic boat for a few hours to take yourselves off up the river enjoying the stunning countryside location of the Broads (Broads Tours offer day boat hire from here).
Overnighters .... Day Three
- Book a £5 – 90 minute guided walking tour of Norwich (book here).
- Walk through the beautiful Royal Arcade where in Victorian Norwich, horses and carriages would be available to take you to London (it took five days then).
- Visit The Shirehall Courtroom a Victorian building which is now part of Norfolk Museums Service. Learn all about infamous Norfolk prisoners and their trials and walk in the footsteps of the condemned...
We hope there's plenty to keep you going here, however long you're in Norwich for! There is also plenty more information on what to see and do here on our website.