At the heart of the Waveney Valley on the old coaching route from London to Great Yarmouth, Harleston is a vibrant market town, filled with historic buildings, a beautiful chapel and plenty of character around every corner.
Harleston is home to a delightful array of individual speciality shops, bustling market stalls, food and music festivals and a thriving centre for the arts. Whether you're interested in the town's long history or simply wish to browse and enjoy a spot of afternoon tea, you're sure to find something to interest you in this charming market town.
There's plenty to see and do with fascinating historical secrets to be unlocked, winding streets and interesting shops to be discovered and the beautiful Norfolk countryside to explore.
Things to see and do:
- Explore the distinctive buildings and streets of the town.
- Discover the many fascinating artefacts at the Harleston Museum.
- Visit the two award-winning microbreweries (Grain Brewery and St Peter's Brewery) within a stone's throw of the town.
- Visit The Norfolk and Suffolk Aviation Museum, with its impressive collection of 60 aircraft, 23,000 artefacts and 8 themed buildings on a 8-acre site.
- Enjoy one of the 3 circular walks starting in the town, or hire a bike and explore one of the Harleston and Waveney Cycle Rides.
Eat, shop, stay
With its historic coaching inns, luxurious hotels and cosy tearooms, you're sure to find plenty on the menu when eating out in this traditional market town. Treat yourself in the many traditional food shops or pack up a picnic and enjoy eating al fresco under the famous Norfolk skies. Beer drinkers will love the two award-winning local microbreweries: Grain Brewery and St Peter's Brewery.
With a choice of individual and speciality shops on offer and a range of traditional bakers, butchers and delicatessens serving plenty of delicious and tempting Norfolk foods, you're sure to find something delicious to take home. Every Wednesday the weekly market comes to town, with a variety of interesting stalls selling local goods and general household items.